Monday, February 11, 2013

LOVE is what you make of it!


The National Museum of Women in the Arts
Hey Loves!

This entry is dedicated to my creative ancestral mentor "in my head" Frida Kahlo.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE her work!  I was for EXCITED when I got the opportunity to view her painting at the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C.


Artist:  Frida Kahlo

I thought that I would never see any of her paintings in person, let alone in the United States.  I literally had to hold back tears looking at her painting.  Knowing that her artwork has so much history, and that she put her soul in every painting is moving.  It was as if a little piece of Frida's spirit was in the room.  Every painting of hers has such historical and emotional significance.  Nothing she painted was of mindless importance.


I remember the day that I was introduced to Frida.  An art instructor looked at my work while I was studying at Interlochen Arts Camp in high school.  She told me that my work reminded me of Frida Kahlo, and that I should see the movie Frida starring Salma Hayack.  If you haven't seen this movie then you DEFINITELY SHOULD!

I wonder what her husband Diego Rivera, and the other men in her life thought about her work lol! A man being the muse of a woman's emotional pain can be either flattering or scary! In the dating seen today do you think this would chase a man off, or leave them wanting more?  What do you think? 

Being an artist whose work is inspired by the love and pain like Frida, when I look at her work I get it, and it's moving. 


Artist: Petah Coyne
I also enjoyed the other women artist work at The National Museum of Women in the Arts.  I was extremely proud to be in this museum filled with works by women artists.  Here are a few pieces that I ENJOYED!!!  

Artist: Alice Neel


Artist: Chakaia Booker
 Chakaia Booker has beautiful installations outside of the museum.


Artist: Chakaia Booker
 (Zoomed in area of image above)

Artist: Mary Cassatt


Love,

Clarissa Horton
www.clarissahorton.com

No comments:

Post a Comment